Inflow of untreated sewage and wastewater has been recognized as one of the main causes of degradation of the wetland. Sewage Management Sub-Committee has been formed in order to conserve the precious ecological character of the wetland.
The main objectives of this subcommittee are:
- To identify sewage management activities to be carried out by relevant organizations during the course of the project until 2019 (action plan activities) in order to improve the environmental conditions of the Anzali Wetland, and
- To select from the action plan activities a set of priority activities to be implemented jointly by relevant organizations and JET as Joint Pilot Activities.
Participating Organizations of Sewerage Management Sub-Committee
The organizations related to sewage management in Gilan Province are GWWC, RWWC and DOE. The responsibility of each organization is listed below.
- GWWC (Gilan Water & Wastewater Company)
GWWC is in charge of domestic sewage management in urban areas of Gilan Province through development, operation and maintenance of sewerage systems.GWWC leads the SC
- RWWC (Rural Water & Wastewater Company)
RWWC is in charge of domestic sewage management in rural areas of Gilan Province through development, operation and maintenance of sewage treatment facilities.
- DOE Gilan (Department of Environment)
DOE Gilan is in charge of monitoring of water quality of public water bodies which include the Anzali Wetland, rivers, and effluent from different facilities, such as sewage treatment plants (hereinafter called STPs) and industrial factories. DOE Gilan also has a responsibility to direct operators of facilities that discharge wastewaters to meet the effluent standard.